A carpenter is a person who constructs, erects, installs, and repairs structures and fixtures made from wood and other materials. Carpenters are engaged in a number of various types of construction, ranging from the building of highways and bridges to the installation of kitchen cabinets.
Carpenters may do a number of various carpentry tasks, or they may have specialization in one or two tasks. For instance, remodeling houses and other structures require a wide range of carpentry skills. A well trained carpenter has the ability to switch from residential building to commercial construction or remodeling work, depending on which gives the best work opportunities.
|Please find link at bottom to Download Sample Carpenter Resume in MS Word Format|
Carpenters can become skilled at their craft through on-the-job training, vocational schools or technical colleges, or formal apprenticeship programs that often takes three to four years.
Job Description for Carpenter:
Job description for Carpenter may include, but are not limited to the following:
Constructs, repairs, restores and installs structures such as floors, doors, walls, windows, stairways, furniture, cabinets, shelves, and roofs. Studies specifications in blueprints, sketches or building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and materials required. Removes damaged or defective parts or sections of structures and repair or replace, using hand tools. Operates and performs preventative maintenance on hand and power saws, planers, lathes, joiners, shapers, drills, sanders and a variety of hand tools. Assembles and fastens materials to make framework or props, using hand tools and wood screws, nails, dowel pins, or glue. Installs locks, knobs, hinges, closures, and other fixtures to structures; Cleans equipment, shop area, and work site area. Fills cracks and other defects in plaster or plasterboard and sand patch, using patching plaster, trowel, and sanding tool; Builds or repairs cabinets, doors, frameworks, floors, and other wooden fixtures used in buildings, using woodworking machines, carpenter’s hand tools, and power tools.
Tips for Writing Carpenter Resume:
Some of the most important tips for writing carpenter resume are as follows:
- Divide your resume into separate sections and subsections along with short paragraphs and bulleted points in order to make it easily readable.
- Provide all required details, such as full name, contact information, telephone numbers, permanent address, email address, and career objective.
- Write your major professional achievements as carpenter next to the job objective section as this gives a good idea about quantifiable results of your work and experience.
- Since Professional Experience section is very important for the carpenter job, therefore, it should be above the Academic Qualifications section.
- Preferably, describe your professional experience and related basic job duties and responsibilities in bullets.
- Write all main skills that are related to the carpentry in Skills section of the resume.
There are many things that should be included in carpenter resume, which are as follows:
- Write a career objective in your resume that strikes a chord with the employer.
- It is important to summarize your strengths and key qualifications in the top half of the first page, which can be done with the Professional Achievements section.
- Always emphasize your accomplishments while writing a Professional Experience section.
- Under each employer, provide a bulleted list of your major accomplishments. Always show quantifiable results of your work in this section.
- Include your major academic qualifications in your resume that are specifically related to carpentry.
- Include a list of your key carpentry related skills in your resume that can provide benefit to the employer.
- Include the professional affiliations, and professional training, workshop and seminars that you have related to your profession, if any.
There are a number of things that need to be avoided in carpenter resume, which include:
- Don’t include too many responsibilities and accomplishments in your resume as they will conceal the important points.
- Don’t give a long list of skills as it will only be viewed with skepticism.
- Don’t include photos in your carpenter resume.
- Don’t falsify information.
- Don’t include irrelevant personal information, such as your hobbies, health, social security number, age, height, weight, religion, citizenship, race, marital status, or names of wife and kids.
- Don’t include research papers, dissertations, or lists of publications.
- Don’t make your resume too lengthy, as anywhere from one to three pages is appropriate.
Action words can change an ordinary resume into a professional looking one. There are a number of actions words that can be used in the Professional Accomplishments and Professional Experience sections of the carpenter resume. Some of these action words are as follows:
Aligned, Assisted, Applied, Arranged, Built, Completed, Covered, Cut, Established, Finished, Followed, Framed, Given, Handled, Inspected, Installed, Laid out, Made, Maintained, Marked, Measured, Performed, Proven, Repaired, Shaped, Studied, Verified, Worked.
The most important part of a recruitment process is interview, which basically affects the selection or rejection of a job candidate. Therefore, it is crucial for the candidate to be well prepared for the interview.
A few important interview tips that should be followed when preparing an interview for the carpenter job are as under:
- Create a list of common interview questions related to carpentry and answers, or you can answer them by yourself.
- Find out field trends related to carpentry, which are currently happening in your industry and how to face or solve them.
- Identify attributes, traits or abilities that are necessary for a carpenter, which are related to this job and how to get them.
- Show an interest in the job and a willingness to work hard.
- During the interview, maintain a professional demeanor and avoid discussing personal problems.
- Always close the interview by expressing thanks and appreciation for their time.
Download Sample Carpenter Resume in MS Word Format