A hotel manager (also known as hotelier) is an individual who has a management job within a hotel, motel, or resort establishment. There are different management titles, duties and responsibilities for every organization. Some hotels may give the title of the General Manager of the hotel to hotel manager. In small hotels, there is a small management team comprising only two or three managers whereas large hotels may have a large management team comprising different departments and divisions.
|Please find link at bottom to Download Sample Hotel Manager Resume in MS Word Format|
Many hotel managers are self-employed, which sometimes brings about a wider set of regular duties, ranging from greeting guests to managing hotel finances. They usually work in long shifts that include late hours, weekends, and holidays because of the 24-hour operation of a hotel. A fast-paced environment, with great interaction with guests, employees, investors, and other managers is the most common workplace in hotels for hotel managers.
Job description for Hotel Manager
Job description for Hotel Manager may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Sets and achieves sales and profit targets; Promotes and markets the food business; Maintains statistical and financial records; Meets and greets customers; Ensures events and conferences run smoothly; Addresses problems and troubleshooting; Carries out inspections of property and services; Deals with contractors and suppliers; Ensures security is effective; Answers questions about hotel policies and services, and resolves customers complaints. Ensures that guests enjoy good customer service; Manages budgets and financial plans and controlling expenditure; Identifies staffs’ actions and evaluates whether it meets hotels’ standards. Estimates the number of rooms needed for special events. Monitors the number of open rooms when renting to non-event customers; Answers customers’ questions, makes them feel at home, and builds on-going relationships.
Tips for Writing Hotel Manager Resume:
Some of the most important tips for writing Hotel Manager resume are as follows:
- Divide the Hotel Manager Resume into separate sections and subsections along with short paragraphs and bulleted points to make it easily readable.
- Include all necessary details, such as full name, contact information, telephone numbers, permanent address, email address, and objective.
- Write your foremost professional achievements as Hotel Manager immediately after the objective section as this gives an idea about quantifiable results of your work.
- Since Professional Experience section is very important for the hotel manager job, therefore, it must be above the Academic Qualifications section.
- Preferably, describe your professional experience and related basic job duties and responsibilities in bullets.
- Write all of your major skills that are pertinent to the hotel management in Skills section.
There are several things that need to be included in Hotel Manager Resume, which are as follows:
- Write a career objective in your resume that strikes a chord with the employer.
- It is important to summarize your strengths and key qualifications in the top half of the first page. This can be done with the Professional Achievements section.
- Always emphasize your accomplishments when writing a Professional Experience section.
- Under each employer, include a bulleted list of your most important accomplishments. Always show quantifiable results of your work in this section.
- Add your major academic qualifications in your resume that are specifically related to hotel management.
- Include a list of your key hotel management related skills in your resume that can be beneficial to the potential employer.
- Include the professional affiliations, and training, workshop and seminars that you have attended related to your profession, if any.
There are a few things that should be avoided in Hotel Manager Resume. They include:
- Don’t include too many responsibilities and accomplishments in your resume as they will conceal the important points.
- Don’t give a long list of skills as it will only be viewed with skepticism.
- Don’t include photos in your Hotel Manager Resume.
- Don’t falsify information in your resume in any case.
- Don’t include irrelevant personal information, such as your hobbies, health, social security number, age, height, weight, religion, citizenship, race, marital status, or names of wife and children.
- Don’t include research papers, dissertations, or lists of publications.
- Don’t make your resume too lengthy, as anywhere from one to three pages is enough.
Using action words in your resume can instantly change its look into a professional one. There are many actions words that can be used in the Professional Achievements and Professional Experience sections of the Hotel Manager Resume. Some of the most important of these action words are as follows:
Allocated, Assisted, Arranged, Assigned, Answered, Analyzed, Coordinated, Conferred, Cooperated, Communicated, Dealt, Decided, Devised, Ensured, Experienced, Handled, Inspected, Managed, Maintained, Monitored, Observed, Organized, Provided, Planned, Purchased, Qualified, Recruited, Supervised, Trained, Used.
Interview is the most important part of a recruitment process, which largely affects the selection or rejection of a job candidate. Therefore, it is vital for the candidate to be well prepared for the interview.
Here are some important interview tips that need to be followed when interviewing for the Hotel Manager post.
- Make a list of common interview questions related to hotel Management and answers, or you can answer them by yourself.
- Determine field trends related to Hotel Management, which are presently happening in your industry and how to face or solve them.
- Identify attributes, traits or abilities required for a Hotel Manager, which are related to this job and how to get them.
- During the interview, maintain a professional manner and do not discuss personal problems.
- Always close the interview by expressing gratitude and appreciation for their time.
Download Sample Hotel Manager Resume in MS Word Format