A Medical Billing professional is a person who submits and follows up on insurance claims to insurance provider companies to receive payment for services provided by a healthcare provider. Many government-owned or private insurance companies use the similar process.
The medical billing professional serves as liaison among doctor, patient and the insurance provider companies. They contact with the insurance companies for the patients who claimed for the insurance. They generally create and maintain the patient’s medical record, which contains demographic information and summary of treatment provided to the patient.
|Please find link at bottom to Download Sample Medical Billing Resume in MS Word Format|
Job Description for Medical Billing Resume:
Job description for medical billing resume may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Checks each insurance payment is for accuracy and compliance with contract discount. Calls insurance companies regarding any discrepancy in payments, if necessary; Participates in educational activities and attends monthly staff meetings. Initiates claims against estates by monitoring deaths and unpaid accounts; informing legal department to act on probate and estate issues; following-up with clerk of court; Collects delinquent accounts by establishing payment arrangements with patients, monitor payments and also follow-up with patients when/if payment lapses occur. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job; Protects hospitals value by keeping collection information confidential; Maintains work operations by following policies and procedures; reporting compliance issues.
Tips for Writing Medical Billing Resume:
Some of the most important tips for writing Medical Billing resume are as follows:
- Divide your resume into separate sections and subsections along with short paragraphs and bulleted points in order to make it easily legible.
- Give all necessary details, such as full name, contact information, telephone numbers, permanent address, email address, and job objective.
- Write your major professional achievements as a medical billing professional next to the objective section as this gives an idea about quantifiable results of your work.
- Since Professional Experience section is very important for the medical billing job, therefore, it should be above the Academic Qualifications section.
- Preferably, describe your professional experience and related basic job responsibilities in bullets.
- Write all your major skills that are applicable to medical billing in Skills section.
There are many things that should be included in Medical Billing resume, which are as follows:
- Write a career objective in your resume that strikes a chord with the employer.
- Summarize your strengths and key qualifications in the top half of the first page with the Professional Achievements section.
- When writing a Professional Experience section, always highlight your accomplishments.
- Under each employer, give a bulleted list of your major accomplishments. Always show quantifiable results of your work in this section.
- Include your major academic qualifications in your resume that are particularly related to Medical Billing.
- Include a list of your key Medical Billing related skills in your resume that can provide benefit to the employer.
- Include the affiliations, courses, workshops, training and seminars that you have attended related to your profession, if any.
There are many things that need to be avoided in Medical Billing resume, which include:
- Don’t include too many responsibilities and accomplishments in your resume as they will conceal the important points.
- Don’t give a long list of skills as it will only be viewed with skepticism.
- Don’t include photos in your Medical Billing resume.
- Don’t misrepresent information in your resume in any case.
- Don’t include unrelated personal information, such as your hobbies, health, social security number, age, height, weight, religion, citizenship, race, marital status, or names of wife and kids.
- Don’t include research papers, dissertations, or lists of publications.
- Don’t make your resume too lengthy, as anywhere from one to three pages is appropriate.
Actions words play a major role when it comes to writing a professional looking resume. These words can be used in the Professional Achievements and Professional Experience sections of the Medical Billing resume. Some of these action words are as follows:
Analyzed, Assisted, Answered, Conducted, Dealt, Dedicated, Demonstrated, Distributed, Hired, Identified, Interviewed, Maintained, Performed, Posted, Prepared, Qualified, Reconciled, Responded, Researched, Resolved, Submitted, Sent, Trained.
Interview is the most important part of a recruitment process, which significantly affects the selection or rejection of a job candidate. Therefore, it is essential for the candidate to be well prepared for the interview. Here are a few important interview tips that should be followed when interviewing for the medical billing related post.
- Create a list of common interview questions related to medical billing and answers, or you can answer them by yourself.
- Find out field trends related to medical billing job, which are currently happening in your profession and how to face or solve them.
- Identify attributes, traits or abilities necessary for a medical billing professional, which are related to this job and how to get them.
- During the interview, always maintain a professional demeanor and refrain from discussing personal problems.
- Always close the interview by expressing thanks and appreciation for their time.
Download Sample Medical Billing Resume in MS Word Format