Nursing is an important profession in health sector. This is because nurses serve as the assistants to doctors, and also deal with self-directed and collaborative care of individuals of all ages, families, groups and communities, sick or well and in all settings in order to enable them to achieve, retain, or recover optimal health and quality of life from start to death. Nurses usually work in a wide variety of specialties where they work independently and as part of a team to review, plan, implement and evaluate care programs.
|Please find link at bottom to Download Sample Nursing Resume in MS Word Format|
Nursing encompasses the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and the care of ill, disabled and dying people. Other important key nursing roles include advocacy, promotion of a safe environment, research, participation in shaping health policy and in patient and health systems management, and education.
Job Description for Nursing Resume:
Job description for Nursing may include, but are not limited to, the following:
Assesses patient status and notify physicians of clinical changes; Interacts with departments regarding patient care; Schedules patient admissions and discharges; Educates patients and families on health care needs, conditions, options etc. Provides assistance to Nursing Manager in the supervision of staff nurses; Evaluates staffing requirements including floor assignments; Maintained patient charts and confidential files; Performs clinical tasks according to hospital policies; Assists in the orientation of new staff members; Assesses patient conditions and advised of changes in status; Monitors and maintained patient charts; Assists patients and family members in the education of health care needs; Performs blood pressure tests for community health outreach programs; Provides a wide range of services including women’s health clinic services and care for elderly patients.
Tips for Writing Nursing Resume:
Some of the most important tips for writing Nursing resume are as under:
- Divide the Nursing resume into separate sections and subsections along with short paragraphs and bulleted points in order to make it easily legible.
- Add all important details, such as full name, contact information, telephone numbers, permanent address, email address, and job objective.
- Include your key professional achievements as a nurse next to the objective section since this gives an idea about quantifiable results of your work.
- Professional Experience section should be written above the Academic Qualifications section.
- Preferably, write your professional experience and related basic job duties and responsibilities in bullets.
- Write all your key skills that are related to nursing profession in Skills section of the resume.
Things that should be included in nursing resume are as follows:
- Write a career objective in your resume that strikes a chord with the employer.
- Summarize your strengths and major qualifications in the top half of the first page in the Achievement Highlights section.
- When writing a Professional Experience section, always give importance to your achievements.
- Under each employer, make a bulleted list of your major accomplishments. Always show quantifiable results of your work in this section.
- Include your major academic qualifications in your resume that are particularly related to nursing profession.
- Include a list of your key nursing related skills in your resume that can provide benefit to the employer.
- Include the affiliations, and training, workshops and seminars that you have related to your profession, if any.
- Add at least one or if possible 2-3 high-class professional reference. For nursing resume, reference of a doctor or head nurse of any unit or floor in hospital would be better for you.
- Proof-read the resume more than twice for errors and mistakes to increase the chances of getting the desired job.
Following things should be avoided in nursing resume:
- Don’t add too many duties, responsibilities and achievements in your resume as they will conceal the important points.
- Don’t give a long list of skills as it will only be viewed with skepticism.
- Don’t include photos in your nursing resume.
- Don’t falsify information in any case.
- Don’t include extraneous personal information, such as your hobbies, health, social security number, age, height, weight, religion, citizenship, race, marital status, or names of wife and kids.
- Don’t add research papers, dissertations, or lists of publications.
- Don’t make your resume too lengthy, as anywhere from one to three pages is enough.
When it comes to writing a professional looking resume, action words are of great help. There are many actions words that can be used in the Professional Achievements and Professional Experience sections of the Nursing resume. Some common action words that can be used in a resume are as follows:
Administered, Assessed, Consulted, Coordinated, Detailed, Directed, Disabled, Ensured, Evaluated, Handed, Informed, Interpreted, Implemented, Maintained, Modified, Monitored, Motivated, Observed, Ordered, Performed, Prepared, Recorded, Reported, Supervised, Upgraded, Varied, Visited, Worked.
Interview is the most significant part of a recruitment process, which greatly affects the selection or rejection of a job candidate. Therefore, it is important for the candidate to be well prepared for the interview.
Here are a few important interview tips that should be followed when preparing for the interview for the Nursing post.
- Make a list of common interview questions related to nursing profession and answers, or you can answer them by yourself.
- Find out field trends related to nursing profession, which are currently happening in your medical industry and how to face or solve them.
- Identify attributes, traits or abilities for nursing profession, which are particularly related to this job and how to get them.
- Show your keen interest in the post available, however do not overdo it.
- During the interview, keep a professional behavior and refrain from discussing personal issues and problems.
- Always close the interview by expressing thanks to the interviewers and appreciation for their time.
Download Sample Nursing Resume in MS Word Format